Early to rise -- 05/20/05

Nancy and Jill and I managed to get to to The 2nd Story Theatre to see Christopher Durang's play The Marriage of Bette and Boo on Wednesday night. Jeremy was having bad seasonal allergies (he thought he had caught a cold) which transformed into a migraine class headache.

Getting to the theatre proved to be a major headache. The closer we got to Providence, the heavier (and slower) the traffic on I-95 became. Before we reached Providence, traffic had slowed to a crawl. We ended up being almost twenty minutes late for our dinner reservations (with the result that we skipped appetizers and dessert and just ordered our main courses -- I picked Pad Thai with Thai chicken... mmmm, delicious.)

The play was quite an experience -- excellent performances, sharp staging, and some witty dialogue. It got a absolute rave review in the Providence Journal -- one of those if-you-only-see-one-play this season be sure that you see this one type rave reviews -- and, as I said, it was excellent, but I have come to expect that from this theatre group. Personally, I think my favorite this season was the production of Moliere's Tartuffe that they did in November (but, I guess that counts as last year, not this year?). Durang writes black comedy, very funny, but very dark.
I'm really tired. Today brought the class trip to New York City for Nancy's team of 8th graders -- two busloads of adolescents off for their day in the Big Apple.

Nancy had to be at the school before 5:00 a.m. -- which meant getting up very early.
My sinuses woke me up a little before 3:00 a.m. -- the third day in a row that I've been awakened earlier than I wanted to be up by my sinuses. (Okay, one day it really was Tiger walking over me, but it was the sinus headache that kept me awake that day.) Each day, some nasal spray and some aspirin have taken care of the headache, but I'm still being left short of my needed sleep (and I don't get enough sleep on a typical night as it is).

The first photograph was taken at 4:45 -- the second one at 5:01 -- What a difference sixteen minutes can make.

I've been struggling to keep awake all day. It is approaching nine o'clock at night and I'm beginning to think that I will not be awake when Nancy arrives home (the buses are scheduled to reach the school around eleven p.m.).

There are nine weeks left before the annual Narragansett Blessing of the Fleet 10 mile run. Last week it occurred to me that I should try some variation of the Six Week Tweak to prepare for it. That would have been ten weeks to get ready to run ten miles. I've not been bad about working out this past week in terms of general health requirements, but not as much as I need to do to get ready for this run. It is amazing (and depressing) to think about how difficult it is to improve physical fitness and stamina when you get to my age. And today was not much help. I've just plain been too tired to go out for run and too tired to hop on the exercise bike. In fact, I've been worried that I could have so exhausted myself with lack of sleep these past few days, that I could be vulnerable to catching a cold. So... I'm going to post this and go to bed. Good night.

previous entry

next entry

To list of entries for 2005

To Home (Index) page


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com