I picked this up from Bex... a list called "Getting to Know You" (which leads to thoughts of the song from The King and I... but then a competing theme plays in my brain, the lines from Mrs. Robinson "We'd like to know a little bit about you for our files." Heh!) Anyway, there were 37 questions in the original (there being a 32A and a 32B) but two of the questions seemed to indicate that its original incarnation was as e-mail -- so I'm cutting those two and I'm going to give the A & B questions their own non-shared numbers, with the result that my numbers won't match hers past question 21. And, to keep the entry from being two long, I'm going to stop at 20 and put the others in tomorrow's entry.
1. What time did you get up this morning? 5:50 AM
2. Diamonds or pearls? Neither; I do wear a gold wedding band.
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema?The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I go to the movies four or five times a year.. I probably see three times as many plays as I do movies.
4. What is your favorite TV show? I don't watch much TV. I suppose in terms of both frequency of viewing and total viewing it would be the Channel 10 (Providence) Sunrise News because I usually watch fifteen or twenty minutes of that most weekday mornings. I loved Firefly, but I watched that on DVD. I liked Six Feet Under and The Sopranos
5. What did you have for breakfast? Coffee. A dish of Kellogg's Raisin Bran Crunch cereal with skim milk and some sliced up strawberries. A glass of orange juice. More coffee.
6. What is your middle name? Abram. I'm named after my grandfathers -- James after my father's father and Abram after my mother's father.
7. What is your favorite cuisine? Whichever one I am eating at the moment. I like Italian... and Chinese, Thai, Indian, etc.
8. What foods do you dislike? Insects, snails, raw fish.
9. What is your favorite Potato chip? I like regular Wise potato chips but I am also fond of Frito-Lay's corn chips and Doritos Spicy Nacho chips... but I try not to eat much of any of them very often.
10. What is your favorite CD at the moment? I dunno... I actually don't tend to play CDs on a daily basis... If I am working or reading or writing, then either I tune the music out completely so that I don't realize it is play nor am aware of when it has ended, or I find it distracting and I turn it off. I do like to listen to music when I am doing something physical like cooking or working out -- in which case I might play something classical (like Vivaldi) or Simon and Garfunkel, or Joan Baez, or Carly Simon, or Bob Dylan, or some oldies do-wop music from the 1950s, or maybe the music from Pippen or from the Rock Follies TV show.
11. What kind of car do you drive? Toyota Corolla
12. What is your favorite sandwich? Other than one I make myself? That would be either a #1 from Pickles Deli in Middletown, RI (A large croissant role with sliced turkey, lettuce, mayo, tomato, and bacon) or a Subway Tuna sub sandwich (whole wheat sub roll, tuna, lettuce, onion, green peppers, hot peppers).
13. What characteristics do you despise? Hate-mongering, bigotry, prejudice, greed, dishonesty, treachery...
14. Favorite item of clothing? I have lots of items of clothing that I like, mostly T-shirts from various races. I guess my current favorite is a windbreaker jacket with my employer's logo on it... because I got it as part of Thank You program where you can nominate a co-worker who has gone beyond expectations in being helpful and the recipient of the award can pick a present from a catalog of goodies. So I recently picked this jacket and besides the fact that it is a nice jacket, it makes me feel good to wear it because it was a thank you award. (I have a warm hooded sweatshirt with company logo that I got a year or so ago via the same program and a few weeks ago I got another thank you for which I have not yet selected an award. It's not just a job; it's a wardrobe.)
15. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation where would you go? My number one choice would probably be London. There are a number of other places where I've been on business travel to which I would love to return on vacation with Nancy: Honolulu, Nice, Vienna, Oslo, Sydney. Actually, I'd also like to see other parts of Australia and New Zealand as well. I'd like to visit Ireland. The closest I've ever come to Paris has been changing planes at deGaulle Airport and I'd like to visit there too. And for some reason I've always wanted to visit Iceland at the Summer Solstice.
16. What color is your bathroom? Some sort of pastel color, sometimes I think it is more blue and sometimes I think it is more green. White ceiling and trim, etc.
17. Favorite brand of clothing? Uh... favorite brand of clothing? I dunno... Lands End or L.L.Bean I guess. All of my suits and sports jackets and dress shirts are from Lands End, my tuxedo is from Men's' Warehouse, and the most recent thing I bought (a pair of dressy chino type pants delivered yesterday by FedEx) was from L.L.Bean.
18. Where would you want to retire to? Here.
19. Favorite time of day? I like all parts of the day. However, I am particularly fond of summer nights... starting with the long late twilight you get on a summer evening in June and early July, and the soft velvet of a summer night filled with the moon and stars, and then the first faint signs of light along the eastern horizon and the increasing amounts of color... ahhhhh. (Of course I don't pull all-nighters anymore, except maybe on trans-Atlantic flights, and I've not done that in four years.)
20. Where were you born? Kingston, New York
To be continued tomorrow...