[Note to readers from other parts of the world, Jim Harrick, Sr is a famous -- perhaps I should infamous -- college basketball coach. He has a brief Rhode Island connection. He was fired in disgrace by UCLA in an expense account scandal. The University of Rhode Island hired him when nobody else would, giving him a chance to restore his reputation. After a brief time here in R.I., he repaid U.R.I.'s trust by breaking his contract and jumping to the University of Georgia. About a year ago he was forced to resign from Georgia in a scandal about illegal payments to players, etc. I suppose U.R.I. should be feel fortunate that he left before his web of corruption resulted in scandal here. He brought his son, Jim Harrick, Jr along with him from school to school, always finding him some kind of teaching position or assistant coaching job.]
The latest bit of scandal in collegiate sports in the news involves a course Jim Herrick, Jr taught at the University of Georgia. This was a full credit university course entitled "Coaching Principles and Strategies of Basketball." It seems that all of the students in the course were basketball players at the university. It also seems that every student in the course received a grade of A. This week, as part of an on-going investigation into corruption charges at the University of Georgia, the final exam questions in this course for the Fall, 2001 semester were published.
Here are a few of the questions. See if you are able to answer them despite the handicap of not being a Georgia Bulldogs basketball player enrolled in this course.
1. How many goals are on a basketball court?
2. How many players are allowed to play at one time on any one team in a regulation game?
4. What is the name of the coliseum where the Georgia Bulldogs play?
a. Cameron Indoor Arena
b. Stegeman Coliseum
c. Carrier Dome
d. Pauley Pavilion
5. How many halves are in a college basketball game?
6. How many quarters are in a high school basketball game?
8. How many points does a 3-point field goal account for in a Basketball Game?
11. What is the name of the exam which all high school seniors in the State of Georgia must pass?
a. Eye Exam
b. How Do The Grits Taste Exam
c. Bug Control Exam
d. Georgia Exit Exam
12. What basic color are the uniforms the Georgia Bulldogs wear in home games?
13. What basic color are the uniforms the Georgia Bulldogs wear in away games?
The other eleven questions are just as lame. (You can see them all here.)
I can feel yesterday's run in my legs, especially my thighs -- actually, it feels good, reminds me that I've got to start getting in at least four or five runs a week from now on -- but my left foot is still a little sore from that very bad cramp I got last night. Since that foot cramp meant I didn't get to sleep early, I didn't get up until past six-thirty this morning. Had breakfast, read the paper, did three loads of laundry, did a bit of work (i.e., actual employment type work), wrote this, etc. -- now it's noon -- time to post this entry, have some lunch, go grocery shopping.